COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT & U.S. CULTURE IMMERSION PROGRAMS
Southern Illinois University will give you a unique and unforgettable experience of U.S. culture while you improve your English!
The Center for English at a Second Language (CESL) is offering two short-term programs that provide an in-depth experience with U.S. culture combined with intensive English instruction. There is a 3-week program and a 4-week program. Each day of the program will consist of:
2 hours of classroom work:
- U.S. Culture Immersion Program: Part-time English instruction will support your activities in the community, teaching you the language you need to interact, have fun, and learn.
- Community Engagement Program: Classroom work will help you prepare for your community experiences, understand them, compare them, prepare for your next ones, and decide how you might apply what you’ve learned to conditions in your own country.
2 hours of activities in our Southern Illinois community:
- U.S. Culture Immersion Program: You will experience a variety of social and cultural activities that give you a personal experience with how Americans help each other and enjoy their free time, learning American values and habits in the process.
- Community Engagement Program: You will engage in intensive on-site work with local people, working with local, regional and national organizations to improve the environment and the lives of people of all ages and backgrounds.
These short-term programs do not require a U.S. visa. Students from qualifying countries can participate with a visa waiver or B-visa, which is much easier and affordable to obtain.
Program dates for 2019:
- 3-week Community Engagement Program:
- 22 July – 9 August Program
- Customized programs can be scheduled for groups of 10 or more
- 4-week U.S. Culture Immersion Program:
- 14 January – 8 February
- 18 March – 12 April
- 20 May – 14 June
- 19 August – 13 September
- 14 October – 8 November
More iformation and an application form via link.