Introduction to Python for Data Science
- The main objective of the course is to provide students with the basic concepts of Python, its syntax, functions and packages to enable them to write scripts for data manipulation and analysis. The course develops skills of writing and running a code using Python. The course covers various variables types and their features, basic operators and statements, loops, as well as the main packages for data science: NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib. At the end of the course, students should be able to write short scripts to import, prepare and analyze data.
- Know basic data types in Python.
- Know how to import data in Python.
- Know how to work in Jupyter Notebook.
- Know operators, how to clean and merge datasets.
- Know pandas library, the main methods for DataFrames.
- Introduction to Python for Data Science
- Intermediate Python for Data Science
- Python DataFrames
- Importing Data in Python
- Environment for scientific programming in Python
- Self-study work
- ExamFinal student assessment is a project, that is performed in a team of no more than 2 people. Each team uses provided dataset of collets their own data, define research question and apply one or a combination of the learnt methods of data analysis with Spreadsheets. As a result of the project each team write down the report and prepare working file. The grade for the exam includes the grade for the report, grade for the working file and the grade for answering questions.
- Vanderplas, J. T. (2016). Python Data Science Handbook : Essential Tools for Working with Data (Vol. First edition). Sebastopol, CA: Reilly - O’Reilly Media. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=nlebk&AN=1425081
- Seemon Thomas. (2014). Basic Statistics. [N.p.]: Alpha Science Internation Limited. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1663598