- Learning Outcomes - Know the history of the sustainable idea. - Be able to discuss the conflicts which are involved in the sustainable development concept on the national as well as on the global scale. - Be familiar with potential strategic options for sustainable development; - Be able to discuss the (dis-)advantages of instruments for sustainable development. - Understand the sustainable development challenge for companies, their responsibility and their potentials for action.
- understand the idea and knows the principles of sustainable development.
- Student knows global issues.
- Able to identify sustainable development problems at the country, company, personal level.
- understand the connection between sustainable development issues and business activities.
- Define the role of business in sustainable development.
- Analyze the transformation of business goals.
- Know How each individual, organization and system can start to analyse its behaviours and change towards more sustainable practices and models.
- understand the structure of social and innovative entrepreneurship, their role for sustainable development.
- Introduction to Sustainable Development.1. Sustainable development: core definitions, sustainable development debates. 2. Global risks and sustainable development goals. Challenges at a country and company level. Climate change. Limited natural resources. World population growth. Poverty. Inequality. Corruption. Sustainable development is country specific. Why the Sustainable Development Goals are important.
- Sustainable Development and Business3. The role played by business: CSR, sustainability and shared value. The sole purpose of a business? Sustainability in business. From CSR to corporate sustainability and shared value. The fake news effect and corporate sustainability. 4. Sustainability today Why companies engage with sustainability. Sustainability leaders vs practitioners vs traditionalists. Sustainability in practice in engineering. Sustainability in practice in the oil and gas sector. Sustainability in practice in the Perm Region business. 5. Practising sustainability thinking and decision making. Case study: Mercato Metropolitano. Making recommendations for Mercato Metropolitano. Case study of business company in Russia. Making recommendations. Review. 6. Business Ethics and Sustainable Development. What are ethics? Why do ethics matter in business? Business dilemmas: What would you do? CEOs about ethical questions.
- Social innovation and Sustainable Development7. Social innovation and social entrepreneurship. Social innovation phenomena. Social entrepreneurship phenomena. Tackling a social problem. Module review.
- Interim assessment (2 module)0.1 * Essay + 0.4 * In-class examination + 0.1 * Independent Study + 0.3 * Online exercises + 0.1 * Project
- Sarkar, Runa, and Anup Sinha. Economics of Sustainable Development, Business Expert Press, 2016. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=5184983
- Roosa, Stephen A.. Sustainable Development Handbook, The Fairmont Press, Inc., 2010. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=3239039.